Welcome to the Automotive Fine Arts Society
The Automotive Fine Arts Society (AFAS) is composed of a small group of painters and sculptors of automotive fine art who are automotive enthusiasts and who portray various aspects of the automobile in their fine art. The objectives of the society are:
- exhibit the automotive fine art works of its members
- promote and publicize the work of its members
- raise the standards of automotive art to a level of acceptance as serious fine art from the point of view of both collectors and critics
- provide, through the society, a practical means to form enduring friendships, exchange ideas and build fellowship among automotive fine artists and enthusiasts
The Society was formed in 1984 by a group of 6 artists. Since then, members have been added yearly to the current total of 32. The Society's first exhibit as a group was held at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance in 1986 and has continued annually to the present. From 1986 thru 1990, AFAS's exhibitions were produced with the help of Robert E Larivee, Sr and his company, Group Promotions of Pontiac, Michigan. In 1988, the Society began publishing its magazine originally titled AFAS Quarterly. In 1998, the name of the publication was changed to Automotive Fine Art, A Journal of the Automotive Fine Arts Society. In 2010, the publication moved to www.afasjournal.com
published exclusively online by Knightbridge Publishing Inc.
The Infiniti Division of Nissan became the AFAS sponsor in 1991 at Pebble Beach. From 1996 to the present, the Pebble Beach exhibit has been sponsored by the Lincoln Division of the Ford Motor Company. Mercedes Benz began sponsorship of AFAS's second show at the Amelia Island Concours in 1998. It was later sponsored by Mazda until 2015. AFAS has also co-sponsored a Children's Art Competion in conjunction with Road&Track Magazine to benefit the Carroll Shelby Heart Fund.
AFAS Annual Exhibitions
- Pebble Beach Concours, Pebble Beach, CA, August